The urology department of the ARS Diagnostic clinic has modernised its equipment for kidney stone fragmentation (distance lithotripsy). It has started using the latest generation Premium class lithotripsy equipment Gemini from the leading German urological equipment manufacturer Dornier MedTech.
Advantages of Gemini:
- performs most accurate and effective kidney stone fragmentation procedures in an outpatient setting;
- patients are free to go home after the procedure;
- the procedure is adjustable for children;
- kidney stone fragmentation is also suitable for larger patients – up to 200 kg;
- extensive image documentation and comparison options that allow the results of previous lithotripsy procedures to be evaluated.
Kidney stone fragmentation – distance lithotripsy
The ARS Diagnostic clinic is the only clinic in Latvia where kidney stone fragmentation can be performed on outpatient basis. Firstly during the procedure, the exact location of kidney stones is determined with the controlled help of X-ray or ultrasound. Kidney stones are targeted with focused high-intensity shockwaves. The most important property of shockwaves is that they travel through soft tissue without damaging it. Upon reaching kidney stone the waves create cracks either causing the stone to disintegrate into smaller particles or make the passing of a whole stone through the urinary tract easier.
Lithotripsy is a contemporary and gentle kidney stone treatment method.
Length of lithotripsy procedure
Lithotripsy procedures last approximately 40 minutes. During the procedure patients have to lie calmly on a table specially suited for the procedure. To avoid discomfort, patients will be relieved from pain by an anaesthesiologist who will administer pain relief medication (analgesics).
Lithotripsy procedures are performed by:
- an urologist,
- an anaesthesiologist,
- a nurse.
Preparation before procedure – during lithotripsy patients are not diagnosed – so it is important that patients arrive fully examined and prepared (patient must bring findings from previous examinations – ultrasound images, x-ray images, blood analyses).
Take into consideration:
- no food or drink four hours before the procedure;
- on the day of the procedure all regular medication can be used with the exception of blood thinning medication;
- after the procedure patients should not drive cars as sedatives are administered during the procedure.
The main diagnostic methods for kidney stones:
- blood biochemical analysis (creatinine).
Medical company ARS branch – ARS Diagnostic clinic
Jāņa Asara ielā 3, Rīga
Schedule your appointment by calling : (+371) 67 201 005