Algologist – pain therapist who is familiar with pain formation mechanisms and is able to help prevent the suffering caused by pain.
Pain is the body’s warning signal that our existence is threatened. Therefore, the pain must be taken seriously, and the warning signs should not be silenced with pain relief medication. It is important to find the cause of pain and, if possible, a cure for their cause. If the disease is incurable or chronic pain formation system is irreversibly damaged, chronic pain really never stops persisting.
There are a number of chronic diseases causing pain – back, neck and shoulder pain, headache and migraine, rheumatism, joint pain, osteoarthritis, neuropathic pain due to diabetes, cancer, etc.
If the pain is very strong and persists over long period of time, the effects can be devastating on both mental and physical quality of life.
Algologist helps to relieve pain and to find a suitable solution.
Quality pain therapy can significantly improve well-being.
We offer allergist consultations and treatment of allergic illnesses.
Frequently asked questions before allergist consultation:
- Could prolonged rhinitis be allergy related?
- Could a long-term cough or coughing fits be allergy related?
- Are watery eyes and itchy skin associated with allergies?
- What can be done to clarify the cause of these complaints?
- What can be done to cure allergies and improve a patient’s quality of life?
Most of the initial visit is spent with the patient answering questions on:
- childhood and adult diseases;
- complaint intensity in different seasons, different times of day and during physical exertion;
- about well-being while in different rooms and surroundings;
- about possible complaints relating to food;
- efficacy of trialed treatments and medcines, etc.
The doctor will assess the patient’s skin, subcutaneous tissue, lymph node condition, examine the cardio – vascular system, and within limits will also assess the digestive system.
If no anti-allergy medications have been used eight to ten days prior the visit, it is possible to do skin prick tests.
Where there is shortness of breath, coughing or stridor, patients need to take a chest x-ray examination of thoracic organs, external respiratory function tests and breathing tests with bronchodilator medication.
If during the first visit a diagnosis is not specified further examinations are required:
- oesophagus, stomach examinations;
- allergy blood tests;
- bronchoprovocation testing;
- nitrous oxide in the expired air;
- CT of thoracic organs;
- ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor consultation;
- gastroenterologist consultation.
Important factors in the treatment of allergies and prevention:
- suitable environment (living rooms without carpets, animals and green plants to reduce the quantity of a precipitating allergen);
- herbal remedy to fight house dust mites;
- air filters in your apartment and workplace;
- food selection;
- suitable physical activity;
- the need for self-control.
In pollen or house dust mite allergy cases allergen immunotherapy (vaccination) is considered as a probable treatment. At the beginning a vaccine is administered once a week for three to four months. Later, injections are administered once a month for three to five years. The vaccine can also be taken orally.
Allergist consultations are paid by insurance companies.
Anaesthetist provides anaesthesia or narcosis and the maintenance of patient’s vital processes during surgeries and other medical manipulations. They also remove the pain during surgery and help to reduce it after surgery.
The doctor will examine the patient’s medical condition, results of other examinations and analysis, medical history, planned surgeries or types of medical manipulations. After that the doctor will assess whether an anaesthesia is possible and permissible for this particular patient. The anaesthesiologist will also assess any potential risks of anaesthesia, choose an appropriate and acceptable type of anaesthesia for each person and develop an anaesthesia plan for every individual patient. Relevant issues are discussed with patients and other professionals.
For the surgery to run smoothly:
- We will help you choose the most suitable type of anaesthesia for your intended surgery;
- We will prepare you before surgery and provide you with post-operative treatment;
- We will provide you with general information about the types of anaesthesia and personalized advice on your choice of anaesthesia, therefore reducing psychological distress before surgery;
- Before and after the surgery you will be monitored and taken care of by our staff.
For day-patient surgical operations the ARS Medcial company provides two types of analgesia – general anaesthesia or spinal anaesthesia.
General anaesthesia is a set of measures that, when the medication is administered(intravenously and by inhalation), achieves the loss of consciousness and painful sensations, as well as relaxing muscles, creating the conditions necessary for surgery. Before anaesthesia a cannula is always administered intravenously. It allows medication to be administered uninterrupted during the operation.
Through administering anaesthetic substances, consciousness is cut off and sleep-like state is maintained throughout the duration of the surgery. Using a mask or inhalation tube to access deeper airways the air is supplied in addition to oxygen and, if necessary, provide full ventilatory support. Tubes entered into airways (especially the trachea) fully protect the airways from the inhalation of saliva or stomach contents. At the end of the surgery anaesthetics are not supplied, their effect diminishes, conciousness returns, breathing and other vital function paramenters stabilise. At the end of the surgery you will be awoken, monitored and taken care of by our staff until you are ready to go home.
Spinal anaesthesia or regional anaesthesia provides pain relief in that specific part of the body on which the surgery will be performed – one or both of the legs/ posterior area. A local anaesthetic is administered around nerves which transport sensations from this region. This substance blocks nerve impulse transmission achieving insensitivity in the required area, meaning that the patient can stay awake during the surgery. During the operation only sedatives are administered, which reduce the potential psychological discomfort.
The most suitable type of anesthesia
The anaesthetist will select and recommend the most suitable type of anaesthesia, depending on the part of the body where the surgery will be performed. For example:
- For urology or proctology surgeries the most appropriate type of anaethesia is spinal anaesthesia, also known as a sciatic nerve block. Sciatic nerve block gives numbness to the buttocks, keeping leg movement.
- For trauma surgeries (arthroscopies) the most suitable is spinal anaesthesia where numbness occurs in only one of the legs, leaving the other leg free to move. Patients do not experience psychological discomfort as they do not feel paralyzed.
Numbness in the relevant part of the body will disappear after a few hours and the patient will be ready to return home. Spinal anaesthesia has a lesser effect on breathing and blood circulation, therefore it is more suitable for outpatient surgery.
Anaesthesia services for lithotripsy procedures are provided by a physician anaethesiologist – reanimatologist Dr. Irēna Leite.
Our Breast Physician has specialised in benign and malignant breast diseases.
Breast diseases primarily affect women, but they sometimes affect men too. An oncologist-breast specialist consultation for men would be required in the event of an increase in breast glands (gynecomastia) or if a formation has been found in breasts.
More than 1000 Latvian women are diagnosed every year. When discovered early breast cancer is treatable, so it is important to undergo diagnostic examinations – mammography and breast ultrasound.
The ARS Medical Company offer the following breast diagnostic examinations:
Cardiovascular diseases are typical of our age and are promoted by stress, sedentary lifestyles, poor nutrition and harmful habits. Increasing numbers of younger people are affected each year.
If you experience pain in the chest area, an erratic heartbeat and shortness of breath after slight activity – do not hesitate to check your heart health. At least once a year, check blood pressure, remember the basic principles of healthy eating, and check the lipids and cholesterol in the blood. High blood pressure and high low-density cholesterol is an important risk factor for serious cardiovascular diseases, but often does not cause any symptoms.
Cardiology specialists give consultations and draw up a comprehensive plan for an examination to assess the severity of disease, and select the most appropriate treatment.
We can perform a variety of heart examinations:
- Electrocardiogram at rest (ECG);
- Cardiac stress test;
- Ultrasound exams – echocardiography and Doppler (including transoesophageal) – also for children;
- Holter monitoring (24 hour ECG recording);
- Continuous computerized blood pressure registration.
The ARS Medical Center is the only Latvian out-patient institution where it is possible to perform a multilayer CT coronary angiography using modern 64-layer CT equipment. CT coronary angiography is a non-invasive method of heart (coronary) vascular permeability determination. Unlike invasive coronary angiography, CT coronary angiography does not require vascular catheterisation. The method is well tolerated, painless and performed on an outpatient basis.
We care for patients who suffer from chronic heart diseases. Cardiovascular diseases often occur together with diabetes, atherosclerosis affects the blood vessels of the brain, and other organ systems can be damaged too – kidneys, eyes. Therefore, various specialists are involved in the treatment process such as endocrinologists, ophthalmologists, nephrologists, neurologists, nutritionists and others.
Children also may suffer from cardiovascular diseases – ailments of the heart valves or the heart muscle changes. In our clinic consultations are given by our paediatric cardiologist and echocardiography specialist Dr. Inguna Lubaua. We perform foetal echocardiography and Doppler echocardiography examinations in cases of familial congenital heart diseases or in cases of suspected foetal heart disease during pregnancy.
Endocrinologists at the ARS Medical Centre consult in cases of diabetes, thyroid, pituitary, adrenal, metabolic disorders, increased body weight and other endocrine diseases.
A full examination is important in order to set a diagnosis and choose an appropriate treatment tactic, executed with the most sophisticated methods:
- The widest range or laboratory and hormonal diagnostic options are available at the E.Gulbis laboratory
- Ultrasound examinations (thyroid, abdominal organs, kidney, head and leg vascular examinations)
- CT, including angiography examinations,
- Magnetic resonance imaging,
- Scintigraphic examinations (thyroid nodules and parathyroid glands, kidney function determination)
The most common of endocrine diseases – diabetes and its complications – affect almost all organ systems. Therefore it is important that a wide variety of specialists are involved in the treatment process, such as cardiologists, neurologists, nephrologists, eye doctors, nutritionists and other specialists. Additionally, if the glucose metabolism is disrupted during pregnancy, the treatment requires close cooperation with gynaecologist.
The ARS Medical Centre employs highly qualified and experienced doctors – endocrinologists, who will both accurately diagnose disease and choose the best method of treatment.
Gastroenterologists will help in cases of various gastrointestinal diseases, where there are problems with the oesophagus, stomach, duodenum, small or large intestine, pancreas or liver and biliary tract.
The most common gastroenterological diseases include gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), stomach and duodenal ulcer disease, chronic intestinal diseases, constipation of various origins, gallstones and biliary diseases, including functional indigestion.
Possible additional examinations
Gastroenterologist consultations include a detailed examination of the patient (lasting 30-45 min). If necessary, a patient is reffered to other examinations, which can be done at the ARS Medical Company Diagnotics department:
General Practitioner (for a fee)
Neurosurgeon – vertebrologist
The ARS Medical Centre offers Latvian American Eye centre services.
Eye centre doctors specialise:
- in cataract,
- retinal and corneal disease treatment.
Experienced professionals will examine and treat strabismus, carry out nearsightedness and farsightedness correction with spectacles, contact lenses and intraocular lenses as well as perform eyelid plastic surgeries.
More information about Latvian American Eye Center
Childhood diagnosis clarification and treatment tactics for heart diseases always require heart Doppler echocardiography. Our clinic offers paediatric cardiologist consultations together with echocardiography examinations performed on the latest generation equipment. The visit includes full examination and diagnostics, recommendations for everyday life and physical activities, necessary medication prescriptions and further therapy.
Read more on echocardiographic examinations here.
Foetal echocardiographic examination
Foetal echocardiographic examination may be needed in cases of familial congenital heart diseases or in cases of suspected foetal heart disease during pregnancy. This examination is also available at our clinic.
In the ARS Diagnostic Clinic perform a survey
Paediatric ENT Specialist
Phlebologists (venous specialists)
Speech-Language therapists – phonopedist
Ķirurgs ir ārsts, kurš specializējies iedzimtu un iegūtu slimību diagnostikā un ķirurģiskā ārstēšanā.
Kad nepieciešama ķirurga konsultācija?
Ja pacientam ir:
- hernia of the inguinal, umbilical area or in the abdomen;
- pain in the abdomen;
- pain in the rectal area and bowel disorders, with or without blood admixture;
- a variety of skin and subcutaneous formations (moles, lipomas, papillomas, etc.);
- dilated veins;
- skin and subcutaneous infections (furuncles, erysipelas);
- purulent hand, feet, finger and toe inflammations;
- various bruises, joint sprains;
- skin disorders (bruises, burns, etc.);
- poorly healing wounds and ulcers;
- wound (including postoperative) dressing.
Kā sagatavoties vizītei?
Dodoties vizītē pie ķirurga, ja ir, līdzi jāņem visi ar konkrēto slimību saistītie izraksti un slēdzieni, kas saņemti slimnīcās, ambulatorās iestādēs un pie dažādiem speciālistiem. Tas ārstam palīdz iegūt maksimāli daudz informācijas, atvieglo diagnozes noteikšanu un izvēlēties piemērotāko ārstēšanas stratēģiju. Turklāt šī informācija palīdz taupīt laiku un līdzekļus, jo var gadīties, ka daži izmeklējumi jau ir veikti un vairs nav atkārto.
Kā notiek vizīte?
Sarunā ar pacientu tiek noskaidrotas sūdzības, izskatīti līdzpaņemtie izmeklējumi un precizēta problēma. Ja nepieciešams, ārsts norīko pacientu uz papildus analīzēm, speciālistu konsultācijām vai izmeklējumiem.
For thorough diagnostics and treatment, the following tests are necessary:
- laboratory analysis;
- X-ray examinations;
- ultrasound examinations;
- endoscopic examinations (rectoscopy, fibrogastroscopy, fibrocolonoscopy):
- CT examinations;
- magnetic resonance imaging.
If a trauma is sustained, it is necessary to process a wound or dress a wound. These services are provided by the ARS casualty ward on the ground floor of the clinic:
Medicīnas centrs ARS
Skolas ielā 5, Rīga
1. stāvā every day from 8:00-20:00, Sundays – 9:00-20:00.
Traumatologist-orthopedist carry out diagnostic and therapeutic arthroscopy, blockades and other manipulations.
The ARS Medical Company provides patients with consultations from the leading Latvian traumatologists–orthopaedists with extensive experience in hospital work.
We provide assistance for various bone and joint diseases and injuries. If necessary, experts refer patients for additional tests, such as x-rays, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, multilayer computed tomography and scintigraphy all which can be done in our medical institution.
The human skeleton consists of approximately 206 bones that are connected with each other as immovable joints, joints with a limited movement and flexible joints. In everyday life we don’t think about the mechanics of these movements. You raise your arm above your head or bend your knee without thinking. We are accustomed to relying on our bodies until … suddenly something starts to interfere.
One of the most frequently traumatized and the more vulnerable joints is the knee. Extensive load and high amplitude movements inflicted upon knee joints as well as the complex structure of the joint makes it vulnerable to frequent injury and illness.
What are the most common knee complaints?
Patient complaints can be divided into two groups – pain and instability.
Causes of knee joint pain:
- Pain in young people is more often associated with damage to the meniscus (patients remember the trauma episode, from which the complaint has developed).
- Pain for middle age people is frequently characterized by a meniscus tear, without a single injury – a rupture develops gradually, tissues tear and disintegrate under extensive loads (similar to a worn cloth).
- Pain in older people is generally due to joint deformation – arthrosis (a degenerative, progressive disease of the joints, which is characterized by changes in the articular surfaces). Joints forming cartilage surface become uneven and meniscuses get damaged too. With arthrosis progression changes in the bones appear – osteoarthrosis. It is a slowly progressive disease of the joints, which is characterized by entire joint structure damage, especially cartilage degradation and new bone formation (bone spurs), which causes structural and functional changes in the joints.
The second group of complaints is a feeling of insecurity or instability in the knee joint. The most common reason is a ligament tear. Untreated and unstable joints over time will be accompanied by pain.
Urologists at the ARS Medical Company help solve urological problems for both men and women.
The most common urological problems in men:
- Benign prostate diseases;
- Prostate cancer – early diagnosis;
- Erectile dysfunction;
- Premature ejaculation;
- Male infertility;
- Men’s contraception – a vasectomy;
- Sexually transmitted infection – diagnosis and treatment;
- Testicular diseases – varicocele.
The most common urological problems in women:
- Urinary tract infection;
- Urinary incontinence
- Overactive bladder.
- Kidney stones;
- Urinary tract tumour early diagnosis – kidney, bladder tumours;
- Congenital urinary tract malformations – duplex kidneys, horseshoe kidney;
- Patient monitoring after cancer treatment.
The ARS Medical Company gives access to all the latest and most advanced urological examinations, including flexible cystoscopy – an endoscopic bladder examination. The ARS Medical Company is the only outpatient clinic that provides urodynamic testing.
If needed, an urologist will refer patients for additional exams, for example,
These are provided by the ARS Medical Company using high-end diagnostic equipment. We offer physiotherapy during which a biofeedback method is used, by training and strengthening the pelvic floor musculature.
Asinsvadu ķirurģija ārstē asinsvadu sistēmas, artēriju un vēnu slimības, pielietojot medikamentozas un ķirurģiskas metodes. Fleboloģija ir asinsvadu kirurģijas nozare, kas ārstē vēnu slimības (vairāk lasīt šeit).
Asinsvadu sistēmas bojājumi rodas aterosklerozes rezultātā. Ateroskleroze ir viena no biežāk sastopamajām asinsvadu slimībām, kas sašaurina asinsvadus vai arī tos slēdz. Progresējot aterosklerozei, attīstās maģistrālo artēriju slimības. Nereti artēriju slimības (sašaurinājumi, slēgumi, asinsvadu sieniņu pārmaiņas – aneirismas) noved pie citu orgānu bojājumiem. Daži piemēri:
- kāju artēriju stenozes (artēriju sašaurināšanās) vai oklūzijas (slēgšanās) gadījumos pacients sūdzas par izteiktām sāpēm kājās (staigājot), mijklibošanu un salšanas sajūtu kājās. Dažreiz sāpes kājās atkārtojas arī miera stāvoklī un naktīs. Slimībai progresējot, parādās trofiskas čūlas uz pēdam, var attīstīties gangrēna.
- miega artērijām ievērojami sašaurinoties, ir raksturīgas galvas sāpes, reiboņi, koordinācijas traucējumi, īslaicīgs aklums, samaņas zuduma epizodes, bet smagākajos gadījumos attīstās galvas smadzeņu infarkts ar attiecīgās ķermeņa puses paralīzi vai parēzi.
- paplašinoties vēdera aortas aneirismam līdz 5 cm diametrā un lielākam, rodas riska faktori tās plīsumam.
Asinsvadu saslimšanu veicina šādi faktori:
- cukura diabēts;
- paaugstināts asinsspiediens;
- paaugstināts holesterīna līmenis asinīs;
- cilvēka vecums – vīrieši virs 45 gadiem, sievietes virs 55 gadiem;
- asinsvadu slimības iepriekšējās paaudzēs.
Agrīna un precīza asinsvadu artēriju patoloģiju diagnostika, kā arī savlaicīga to ārstēšana ļauj saglabāt pacienta dzīves kvalitāti. Tādēļ liela nozīme, izvēloties ārstēšanas taktiku, ir precīzai diagnostikai, izmantojot mūsdienīgas un ļoti informatīvas metodes – Duplex asinsvadu ultrasonogrāfiju, CT angiogrāfiju, u.c.